Fun with the Fitels

A look into the life of (not-so) newlyweds Danny and Bethany Fitelson.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

15th Favorite Movie - A Walk To Remember


Make sure you have read the first post in this series ("My 50 Favorite Movies") before you read on...

I fully expect to take heat from some people for this. And I don't mind that... as long as those dishing it out have actually SEEN the movie first. If so, then fire away...

While I argued that When Harry Met Sally was not a chick flick (see #20), I can make no such argument here. This is probably the consenus favorite movie amongst girls in our youth group. The bottom line is most chicks dig it and most guys scoff at it. But here's the thing that separates A Walk To Remember from the rest of the chick flick drabble: it does not just entertain, it does not just talk about how girls and guys are different, it inspires. It is a chick flick with substance.

I think what appeals to me so much about this movie is the character of Jamie Sullivan (played by Mandy Moore). The teenaged daughter of a widowed preacher, Jamie walks to the beat of her own drummer. While other students at her school are out to impress their peers by spending money on nice clothes and cars, she wears the same sweater and takes the bus to school every day. Other students sleep in on Saturday mornings, she gets up early to volunteer tutoring little kids. It makes me glad that so many of our high schoolers like this movie because Jamie Sullivan is a great role model. My hope is that the students in our youth group would have compassion for every human being like Sister Helen Prejean in Dead Man Walking (#47), that they would take a stand for truth and justice like Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird (#31) and that they would not get caught up in silly high school stuff but care about the things that really matter in life like Jamie Sullivan in A Walk To Remember.

And it probably doesn't hurt that Switchfoot, perhaps my favorite band, does the soundtrack.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fitel I am so proud of you for putting this movie on your list knowing you will probably be given a hard time for it.

It really is a favorite among girls though and I think you have hit on several of the reasons why.

Who is this hot new sound...? =)

7:52 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Bro, bro, bro... What has become of your esteeméd list? Although I will agree that this movie has an encouraging message I gotta say that I thought Mandy Moore fell completely flat in this movie -- which was especially disappointing considering how amazing the book was. It's a good movie and all, but seriously, bro... you have this higher up than The Shawshank Redemption?

Consider this your official ribbing with a side of quiet disappointment.

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home