Fun with the Fitels

A look into the life of (not-so) newlyweds Danny and Bethany Fitelson.

Friday, March 09, 2007

30th and 29th Favorite Movies - Ocean's 11 & Out of Sight

Make sure you have read the first post in this series ("My 50 Favorite Movies") before you read on...

Question: have you ever met anyone who does not like Ocean’s 11?

I mean, who wouldn’t like that movie? It's fun, it's funny, and oh-so-cool.

But here’s a question I have: if everyone likes Ocean's 11, why have so few people seen Out of Sight?

Check it out: both are heist movies. Both blend comedy, action and romance. Both were directed by Steven Soderbergh. Both star George Clooney, Don Cheadle, and an excellent supporting cast. Both have that jazzy soundtrack. Both have a high “cool factor”. I don’t get it. Why did Ocean's 11 gross $185 million and Out of Sight just $30 million?

The bottom line is, if you liked Ocean's 11, I can’t imagine you not liking Out of Sight. The problem is no one has heard of it! You wouldn’t believe how difficult it was to find the DVD a few years ago… no one at Best Buy and Blockbuster and Target had heard of it, and Bethany finally found it for me online.

And don’t worry, J-Lo is actually tolerable in it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I think you pegged it when you mention J-lo. I think she negates the "cool factor".

11:51 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

I agree with Tara. The answer is in the question. I never saw it because I didn't know it was a heist movie! I thought it was another cheesy watered-down-action/romance film. To me, it reeked of The Bodyguard (which I have NO interest in seeing) but maybe I'll give this one a chance now that I know it gets such a high recommendation from you!

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home