Fun with the Fitels

A look into the life of (not-so) newlyweds Danny and Bethany Fitelson.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

City Folk

For Labor Day weekend Danny and I attended the Labor Day Youth Rally at Daybreak Camp in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I have been a camper or volunteer at Labor Day since my freshman year at high school, so to me this weekend is more like a family reunion than a youth rally. It's a highlight of my year every year.

Usually adult volunteers have to bring their own tent and camp out for the weekend, but since I've been single in past years I could always sweet talk my way into a spot in the cabins with the high school girls. This year I had the joy of teaming with Danny as small group leaders and we had to move up into the ranks of real adults. That means no cabin for me and our first camping experience as a couple!

In preparation for camping, Danny bought a tent at a garagle sale and then purchased an air mattress so we could be rested enough to lead small group discussions. The only problem was that the tent could barely sleep two people and the air mattress was queen-sized. Can you tell we're not accustomed to camping? Yes, my husband, the Eagle Scout, is just a city boy at heart. We set up the tent and then realized how tiny it looked next to the other multi-room canvas palaces. We had a good chuckle, but Danny was so proud of his purchase and claimed we had "the cutest" tent. The real hysteria came when we tried to blow up the queen-size air mattress in the 4 by 5 foot tent. As the mattress swelled I was trying to be supportive and encouraging of my husband's efforts, but when the mattress literally popped out the door I lost it and doubled over in laughter.



Eve Medina, my former roommate and best bud, witnessed the entire event and between wiping her eyes from all the laughing managed to snap a few pictures. Even though Danny loved our cute tent and we were trying not to bruise his ego, Eve and I went to her truck and brought down her tent which actually did hold our comfy air mattress. Danny was a good sport and didn't let my rejection of the "cute" tent hurt his feelings. We had to let the air out of the mattress just to unwedge it from the little tent and move it into the larger one! We kept both tents up, one to sleep in and one for our luggage, and we quite enjoyed our little Fitelson neighborhood of tent city. Once again, what would I do without Eve Medina?

The entire weekend was a great experience. I think Danny and I made a great team leading a small group together, and we got to play and worship in the fresh mountain air with some of our favorite people!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

too funny! glad you had a great weekend!

6:17 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Thanks Kelli! I thought of you lots since Won By One was there. I feel so cool being able to tell high schoolers that I was roommates with WBOers! It was fun to see Lindsey and catch up with her. She's the only one left that I know!

Thanks for checking our blog and commenting! You are ever the encourager.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Danny said...

Gee, and I thought camping was supposed to be about "roughing it". I think we hurt that poor little tent's feelings by not sleeping in it. Haven't you ever seen "Charlie Brown's Christmas?"?!?! :)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

what a good experience! (you have more patience than I, I think. We don't even own a tent! Our sleeping bag is from Luke and Holly!) Yes, so the last time we really "roughed" it was at the fall campus ministry retreat, on cots.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Adelle said...

i wish i could have seen this in person! your description is hilarious enough...so, where did Eve get to sleep if you slept in her tent???

1:00 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Eve got to sleep in the cushy nurse's cabin with the private bathroom. She brought the tent just in case there were enough sick kids to kick her out of the cabin. Good thing for us Eve plans ahead!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home