Fun with the Fitels

A look into the life of (not-so) newlyweds Danny and Bethany Fitelson.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

27th Favorite Movie - Cinderella Man

Make sure you have read the first post in this series ("My 50 Favorite Movies") before you read on...

So one of the problems I have found with this little endeavor of mine is that the order of my list is highly dependent on how I was feeling back in Fall 2006 when I sat down to order my 50 favorite movies. Since I began blogging, I have not changed the order except for once or twice when I moved a movie down one slot because I didn't feel like writing about it that week. Other than that, the list has remained the same. By the way, after I finish I am going to post a list of what would be the next 50, #'s 51-100. I'm not going to write about each one, just post the list.

I have only seen Cinderella Man once, when it was in the theaters. It is the only movie on my list of 50 Favorites that I have seen just once. All this to say... I was a little surprised to see it so high on my list. I am not surprised that I put it in my top 50, just that I ranked it so high back in the fall. We bought it on DVD immediately and haven't gotten around to watching it. With Netflix, it seems we rarely watch the DVD's we own. We have Something the Lord Made here now that we plan to watch tonight. Bethany's parents enthusiastically recommended that movie.

I do remember really really enjoying Cinderella Man. Bethany liked it too. When Kevin and Rebekah H got married last year Bethany and I got them a "chick flick", a "guy flick" and this one as a movie that both guys and girls could enjoy. It's based on a true story and has Russell Crowe playing a boxer, Renee Zellweger as his wife and Paul Giamatti his trainer. What made it stand out to me though was its depiction of life during the Depression. Watching Russell Crowe's character work the docks (shades of On the Waterfront) and do whatever it takes to provide for his family makes me thankful for my job and our economy right now and really impressed by the people who made it through that time. This is a film that truly will make you laugh, make you cry, and make you stand and cheer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

I heard about this movie but I just couldn't get excited about it. Something about it seemed flat, but if you say it's good then I'll take your word for it! Man, we have so many movies we need to watch...

2:43 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

P.S. Danny, I have to admit that I haven't read To Kill A Mockingbird yet. Judge not lest ye be judged!! It's on the list, though...

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home